Saturday, September 15, 2007

swan lake



was impressive! I didn't like the beginning because it was quite boring, but once the swans came out, it was beautiful!!! I loved the backdrops, and the way the swans glided gracefully. It's so amazing how they put a layer of ice over the stage!!! The most challenging part of the whole performance was for the ice-skaters to skate on the Esplanade stage measuring 15m by 15m, which is really small and narrow to ice-skate an entire performance. One of the female skaters actually fell during a stunt in one of the scenes, slided across the ice and almost banged her head onto one of the backdrop panels. Scary!! And there were ice-skaters skating on stilts!!! Amazing...

For those who don't know the story of Swan Lake, it is a ballet composed by the brilliant Russian composer, Tchaikovsky, in 1875. The story is about a prince (Siegfried) who was about to turn 21 and was forced by his parents to declare a bride at his birthday ball. Upset that he could not marry for love, he escaped into the forest at night. He chanced upon a flock of swans on the lakeside and fell in love with a beautiful swan maiden. Little did he know that this swan was princess Odette, who was captured by an evil sorceror, Von Rothbart. Von Rothbart used his magic to turn Odette into a swan by day and woman by night. To break this spell, Odette had to find someone who professes his love for her. Siegfried decided to make her his bride during his birthday ball. During the ball, Von Rothbart disguised his own daughter Odile as Odette. The mistaken prince proclaimed to the royal court that he intended to make her his wife. A moment too late, Siegfried saw the real Odette and realised his mistake. At the end of the day, Siegfried and Odette's true love defeated the evil Von Rothbart, and they lived happily ever after. :)

I was quite disappointed with the music though. Swan Lake in my iTunes is by the Russian State Symphony Orchestra and they play so so beautifully, I feel as if I am listening to them live. However, the music in the Esplanade sounded like a tape recording. Disappointing... Especially my most favourite Russian Dance. And I think I prefer Swan Lake as a ballet. Watching ice-skating on a small stage makes me giddy. I love ballet, and I hope I get a chance to watch Swan Lake as a ballet one day to relive my halcyon days of being a ballerina (in primary sch la - I am too fat to twirl now). I love ballet so much! Next time, I want my daughter to learn ballet but she cannot stop so young or else she will develop thunder thighs like mine.

Nevertheless, it was a wonderful experience! Thank you so much Auntie for the tickets! :)

No comments:


 
Free Sparkle Pink MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com