Saturday, June 2, 2007

switzerland

Zermatt
waterfalls form as the snow melts down the mountain//it's christmas time!//mummy and daddy//me and daddy//me at the tasch train station//mummy and her swiss cottage//how much is that choc block in the window?//me, mummy, daddy and the foggy matterhorn//me at my hotel balcony

Zermatt is a tiny old town by the Matterhorn where people like to ski. There are many quaint and cute shops along the walkway. I remember we didn't walk that much because it was raining like mad. We couldn't see the Matterhorn because of the rain and fog. :(

Berne
the flag of berne between two swiss flags//me at the clock tower/me!!!:)//the lovely view of the town of berne//bear pit//a pretty poster i saw!//of swiss cottages//me and lady justice fountain//the streets of berne

Berne means bear. The capital of the Swiss Confederation, Berne is a charming town with arcaded shops, carved fountains and towers.

Interlaken
chocolate fondue//yummy!//me in the jungfraubahn//mummy and daddy in the jungfraubahn//it's christmas time again//and again//daddy, me and mummy//me acting cute//i'm on the top of europe!//the eskimo family//whee!!!//swiss ice cream//me in the train//me and my swiss cottages//of mountains, trees and cottages//me with beer and chocolate

Interlaken means "between two lakes". It is a tiny (and I mean really tiny) town situated in between two sparkling lakes. It is so tiny that if one day those two lakes flood, the town will probably be wiped out. Perhaps it is the small-ness and cosy nature of this town that fascinates me. There is only one street in the town, which you can walk from end to end within 15 minutes. The town is situated beneath the most beautiful snowy mountain ever, the Jungfraujoch, which means Mountain of the Young Lady. It is called the 'top of Europe' because it is the highest altitude that a normal person without ski attire can go up by train. Send a postcard down from the Jungfraujoch to yourself or your beloved! (if you can remember his address) :)

Lucerne
me and daddy at the Lion's Monument//me at the chapel bridge//me and mummy//daddy and mummy at the chapel bridge//me acting cool//me and daddy on mount titlis//me and daddy in the snow//trio in the snow//me and daddy again

Lucerne means lion. The town got its name from its Lion's Monument carved from a limestone cliff to commemorate the bravery of the Swiss Guards during the French Revolution. This town is bigger than that of Interlaken, Berne and Zermatt, and houses many top watch brands, including Rolex, Breitling, Tag Heuer, Baume & Mercier and even Swatch. This is the place to SHOP in Switzerland! As tourists, you get 7% tax refund for the watches you buy, which is deductable at the point of sale, unlike in Italy where you will only get your refund back through your credit card a few months later.

Switzerland is a very beautiful country. Whatever they say about the pure white snowy mountains, sparkling lakes and cascading waterfalls, is all TRUE. Unlike the ancient beauty of Rome, the shopping in Milan, the waterways of Venice and the view of Florence, Switzerland gives you a sense of peace, serenity and neutrality, and lets you relax with its slow pace. Switzerland retains its natural beauty because of its neutrality during the wars (which explains its perfectly square flag with a cross of equal lengths). Please do visit Switzerland to see the pure beauty that the world still preserves so well.

No comments:


 
Free Sparkle Pink MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com