Thursday, July 5, 2007

public transport

It's 'wendy takes public transport' day!

I had to go down to both law iv charities to collect posters and brochures for the law iv booth during Homecoming this Sunday. Since lerk was not free and I thought daddy was busy fetching my ah ma to the hospital for her checkup and then going to work right after, I decided to embark on my own public transport journey to SPH at Toa Payoh and then to CCF at Bukit Timah (sans cab). It would be the first time I take public transport everywhere for the whole day.

The journey to SPH was relatively smooth, because I have been there by public transport before. Took 55 from my place to Eunos MRT, MRT to Toa Payoh and then 157 or 163 from Toa Payoh Interchange to the 7th bus stop after the BIG building called the SPH News Centre (man I sound so bimbotic). However, clever me decided to go there at 1 instead of 2 so I can get over and done with it. And what's at 1? Lunch time!!! No one was in office. Grr... So I called up the CCF babe and asked if she will be at CCF at 2 to pass me the stuff. Thankfully she would be done with lunch by 2, so I walked from SPH to Braddell MRT, took MRT to Novena and then the KK Hospital Shuttle Bus (which I know of thanks to the Children's Reading Programme I did at KK Hospital) to KK, then walked to the CCF place which was nearby. I reached there at 2, and the CCF babe was there. I didn't realise she would pass me not just cardboard posters, brochures cute CCF mini t-shirts and handphone straps, but also a donation tin and a HUGE CCF poster with a metal stand, which was so bloody heavy I couldn't carry it up a bus/MRT, no matter how heavy weights I do in Bodypump. So 'wendy takes the public transport' day ended there and I took a taxi back to SPH. I had to tell the cab driver to wait at the car park for me to go up and grab the SPH posters and brochures. The cheapo cab driver refused to stop the meter (or else he would start the meter all over again when I got back) so I let him keep it running. So he drove me all the way back to Marine Parade, and when I got out of the cab after paying $14, I walked to my lift and guess who I saw?

My father.
He didn't go to work after sending my ah ma home from the hospital at 12. By then I had already left the house. He gave me the most innocent look when he saw me carrying 6 bags of posters, brochures and the very heavy metal stand and simply asked, why didn't you tell me where you were going, and immediately looked away with "oops" on his face. Silly father of mine. :(

I am not complaining about public transport here. In fact, I applaud our public transport system because I never knew places in Singapore were actually easy to go around even without a car/cab. And the experience was so so fun! The only problem, which is a very big problem for me, is the bloody hot sun. In case you guys didn't know, I was called "Michael Wenkson" in my VJ Council (among other nicknames like sexytary and mother hen) because I HATE HATE HATE THE SUN and I went everywhere with my UV block umbrella even while painting banners outdoors. That's why I go to the gym despite my house being right opposite East Coast Park. The only thing I will ever do in the sun is play golf. So please don't ask me to go Sentosa to enjoy the sun unless you are paying for my flight in Sentosa Golf Club.

Also, I know that many people don't have the luxury to be driven around by the most wonderful father in the world and that they actually do what I did today for every single day of their lives. For this, I count my blessings and I thank my father who ever so willingly accepts the role as my chauffeur. He even proudly told me that he will send me to work every day when I start working, as long as I pay for the car, maintenance and petrol. Hur hur... I don't mind, because I get to avoid the raffles crowd, and I get to spend quality time listen to my father nag in the car. All this until he turns senile and forgets where Marine Parade is. I love you Daddy! :)

No comments:


 
Free Sparkle Pink MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com