Friday, June 5, 2009

NY day one: Liberty Island

Pack up and let's go to NY!

Looks like Ashley wants to go too! But too bad I can't put her inside the suitcase...






Bye bye Ashley! I will miss you! :)



In the 5 star airline, Qatar Airways.




Transit at Doha, in the middle of what seems to be a desert, with a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius. And I thought Singapore's weather was crazy enough.



The sun welcomes us to the desert!




There's an A&W in Doha! haha... A sucky one though. With root beer float but no waffles. Ugh... We get back our change in Qatar Riyal and the boyfriend poses with the rare note.





After touching down in JFK airport, we are taken to Grand Central Station, the station of all stations in NY. :)








Squirrels are a common sight in the East Coast, especially the Central Park region. I met another one in Washington D.C.! It was so cute until it started chasing me. Catch it in my D.C. post coming up soon!



Leaving the island of Manhattan behind to see...


THE STATUE OF LIBERTY!



Trivia: Do you know that the Statue of Liberty is green in colour? This is because the Statue's copper has naturally oxidized to form its familiar "patina" green coating.

The Statue of Liberty was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. She was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.









That's Ellis Island in the background. Ellis Island is part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument. It was added to the National Park System in May of 1965 and through extensive restoration, its main building opened over a quarter century later on September 10, 1990 as a national museum of immigration.















After Liberty Island, we took a slow walk to Wall Street.





We walked a little bit more and found Ground Zero






I do feel for those who died on 9-11, but I have to say, the US government is really hyping it up way too much. Way too much propaganda don't you think? Oh well...

To end day one, we went to Century 21 which, I agree with Pet, really sucks. Sigh... I was so disappointed on my first day in NY wrt shopping. But it's ok, I still had 9 more days! :)


Anyway, here's my favourite shot of the day:




~ thine eyes ~


Stay tuned for more!

No comments:


 
Free Sparkle Pink MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com