Friday, April 3, 2009

the girl in the green scarf





I love love love the show!!! Especially when it featured my pink-orange pradas! I was squealing in the cinema when I saw it and heard Suze say "these are genuine Pradas!" Hahaha...




I have the same symptoms as Rebecca Bloomwood. There is this sudden adrenalin rush whenever I step into a shop, smell the new leather of all the bags and shoes and touch the silky soft material of clothes. Those in the party room can verify my acute sense of smell because I can detect LV goods which have a distinct smell, as well as Jaliy's new Prada purse even before seeing it! And there is the experience of an orgasmic high when I can actually whip out my credit card and pay for the item, and then that beloved darling finally belongs to me.

But it's true. After the excitement fades, I need to be happy again. Which means, I need to shop again. It's like taking a drug, or smoking I guess. When you are down and out, you just need to do it, and then when the rush is over, you need to experience it again.

That is an addiction. And addictions are bad.

I need to learn how to get over it. So how do addicts overcome their addiction? There's something called COLD TURKEY.

1. I have a Lent Promise, a covenant I made with God, which I have not broken as yet (and in my typical lawyerly self, save in situations where purchases were made out of necessity, i.e. food, transport, daily amenities, my monthly spa to relieve my backache and a pair of shoes my mum bought for me). Yes, I have not shopped for 26 whole days. Oh and the tickets to Confessions of a Shopaholic. :p

2. We booked our tickets to New York (oh that's spending too huh?)! Flying by Qatar and hoping that our Middle Eastern experience will be AMAZING! :) And to prove to everyone that I can overcome my addiction, I shall endeavour to not spend lavishly and to curb my shopping. The boyfriend will be more than glad to help me do so, especially when we are in New York. So too bad Woodbury Common. I cannot see you this year.


The economic situation is not an excuse for you to spend more. It is a time for you to think wisely before you spend. If you really think that you are so rich such that spending so much doesn't mean a thing to you, then you live in denial and extreme insecurity. You don't need expensive things to make you happy. You need to build your self-confidence to last forever. You need to realise there are many other things out there that can make you happy.

Like family (a baby niece helps - at least you can say you are buying for her and not for yourself).

Like love (spending on your boyfriend can be really sweet - or just another way of being able to shop with justification).

Like God who doesn't need you to spend any money on Him. He doesn't need any.


Of course, occasional indulgences to reward yourself aren't too bad. Just don't go overboard.

And if all else fails, I am sure little purchases can make you happy too. At least the hole burnt is tinier. :)

So here's to my success! :)

Love,
The Girl in the Green Scarf


No comments:


 
Free Sparkle Pink MySpace Cursors at www.totallyfreecursors.com